HISTORY OF SADASHIVGAD
The fort was named Sadashivgad by Basavlingraj after his father Sadashivlingraj in 1715. They were chieftains of Sonda who assumed the title of ‘Raja’ after incorporating Chittakula, Simveshwar (Angadi), Kadra, Kadwad, Ankola and some other parts of Canara.
Having marched from Bednore in the south, visiting on his way the sacred temple at Gokarna, Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj seized Ankola and the next day came to Karwar. Both the East Indai Company and Sher Shah, the sardar of Bijapur, were very much alarmed at this sudden development. They collected huge amount and offering it to Shivaji, prayed that they may be spared. Satisfied at the recognition of his authority, Shivaji crossed the Kali River and conquered Sadashivgad on 21st Feb 1665